Preferred Purchasing Methods
*Supply Chain Management (SCM) is responsible for business and procurement contracts, transactions, and advice. The SCM organization is part of FAS and separate from the Controller’s Office. See the SCM website for more information about purchasing.
- BearBuy Catalogs: Ecommerce website available to most UCSF faculty, students, and staff.
- BearBuy Forms: Used for non-catalog items or more favorable pricing available through special deals or other promotions.
- P-Card: A Procurement Card (P-Card) can be used for purchases under $5,000 from suppliers that are used infrequently or who do not accept purchase orders, or for urgent business needs. P-Cards cannot be used to pay for any travel or entertainment expenses. Contact the Campus Buyer to assess adding any supplier you use on a regular basis to the BearBuy catalog or executing a campus contract.
Instructions on Paying for Specific Types of Expenses
- BearBuy purchases: invoices are sent by the vendor/supplier to Accounts Payable
- Non-BearBuy invoice purchases: use the BearBuy Payment Request Form
- Advance payments
- Business meetings and Entertainment
- Capital equipment
- Employee relocation
- Research Subject payments
- Sales and Use Tax information
- Subcontract Invoices: use DocuSign to review and process
- Travel Advances for guests
There are five payment methods available:
- ACH: Electronic payment via Automate Clearing House (ACH) is the preferred method for vendor payment. Vendors need to sign up to receive ACH payments by submitting the ACH Enrollment Form. Use of e-invoicing and ACH payment provide the best payment terms to vendors
- P-Card: Departments may use a P-Card (business credit card) to order and pay for certain types of transactions.
- Virtual Card (Payment Plus): Is a type of credit card payment. Payments are made via a 1-time use, virtual credit card number issued by our partner, US Bank.
- Wire Transfer: Generally used for payments to foreign vendors who can't accept paper checks.
Paper Check: Payment by paper check is our least preferred method of payment due to the high cost of processing and potential risks.
Viewing Accounts Payable Information
- MyReports for financial transactions
- WebLinks for financial transactions prior to Fiscal Year 2013-14
Obtaining Copies of Invoice/Supporting Documents
Copies of BearBuy invoices are available in BearBuy (via MyAccess). Invoice copies are identified as “Invoice Image” on the Voucher Tab or as a document in the Attachment Tab in BearBuy. An attachment will only be available if the submitter included the invoice on the attachment portion of the BearBuy Form. Copies of invoices processed by Accounts Payable via BearBuy or PeopleSoft are available using WebNow (via MyAccess).
All Other Invoice
Suppliers submitting bills electronically typically will not have an invoice attachment, however the information on the voucher should have all the invoice elements. See your Supervisor, Manager, or contact the Controller's Office Solution Center with questions about other invoices.