The National Institutes of Health (NIH) published NOT-OD-17-057, Guidance for Adjustments to Appointment Records in xTrain to Reflect Stipend Level Increases for Postdoctoral Trainees on Institutional Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards (NRSA), on April 13, 2017. This notice provides additional guidance regarding the process recipients of a Kirschstein-NRSA training grant need to follow in order to properly reflect adjustments to appointment records in xTrain to accommodate stipend level increases as established in NOT-OD-17-002, Adjustment to Stipend Levels for Postdoctoral Trainees and Fellows on Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards (NRSA), that was published November 7, 2016.
This notice also alerts trainees that applications to receive supplemental funding from the NIH to accommodate these stipend level increases are due by June 30, 2017. Department research administrators should work with Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) to ensure that all supplemental funding requests are carefully considered to identify the correct post doctorate training level and the associated increase starting December 1, 2016 through the end of the appointment period.
For those awardees that meet the appropriate criteria as established in NOT-OD-17-002, and to accurately document the stipend level increase for currently appointed trainees, submit an amended appointment in xTrain for each trainee. The following restrictions should be considered when processing the change in appointment:
- The adjustment must be made on the parent award, not on the supplemental award
- No supplemental funds can be disbursed to the trainee until an amended appointment is submitted and accepted in xTrain
- Amended appointments are not necessary for FY2017 appointments made on or after December 1, 2016
- Do not amend appointments from previous years; use care when selecting the stipend level during the next appointment or reappointment cycle.
- All parent awards that remain in the pooled draw down account will have supplemental funding awarded in the new subaccount draw down.
- Additional funding will require a new award be established.
- See this previously published article for more information on the transition from pooled accounts to subaccounts for the DHHS Letter-of-Credit (LOC) payment mechanism.
For more information on how to submit and amend an appointment, review the Notice and xTrain Appointment, Re-Appointment, and Amendment Quick Reference Guide for Institution Users on the NIH website. If you have questions about this process, contact the CGA Service Desk at [email protected].