The Payroll Office is pleased to offer a new tool, the Uncapped-to-Capped Payroll Expense Transfer Uploader (U2C-PETU), for transferring payroll expenses from uncapped projects to NIH capped projects.
When to use the U2C-PETU
- Beginning on May 1, 2017
- For transfers formerly submitted on the “long” form PET
- Paper UPAY 646-2 forms will continue to be accepted through June 30, 2017 after which a U2C-PETU will be required
- When transferring payroll expenses from a non-capped to a NIH-capped Project
U2C-PETU should not be used to transfer expenses that can currently be transferred using the original PETU.
U2C-PETU features & functionality
- Allows entry of a second debit chartstring to cover the over-the-cap expenses that result from enforcing the pay rate cap
- Enables consolidation of multiple employees into one U2C-PETU workbook; no longer restricted to one employee per workbook
- Can be used to transfer up to 25 lines in one workbook
- Built-in basic error-checking to catch common data formatting issues
- Built-in checks that will identify common reasons for PET rejections or delays
- Enables copy and paste of data into the debit information fields or use formulas based on Hrs/% Effort to speed up data entry
What the U2C-PETU will not do
- Does not validate the debit chartstring combination.
Please validate chartstrings using the chartfield validator in the SpeedType Search and Chartstring Validator before submitting the U2C-PETU workbook.
- Does not validate the results; please read the instructions carefully to ensure your data entry results in the desired outcome
- Catch duplicate submissions. Remember to use a new U2C-PETU for each new set of transfers and do not reuse previously submitted workbooks.
Process to create and submit a U2C-PETU
- Follow your department pre-approval process before submission to Payroll
- Follow step-by-step instructions
- Clear all errors identified by built-in checks
- Validate the debit chartstring combinations using the SpeedType Search and Chartstring Validator
- Assign a unique journal ID to each U2C-PETU
- Email the U2C-PETU to [email protected]
- An accrual journal will post the accrued expenses once the U2C-PETU is processed, a reversal of the accrual will post prior to posting of the month-end payroll journal
You can download the Uncapped-to-Capped Payroll Expense Transfer Uploader (U2C-PETU) from the Payroll Forms tab of the Controller's Office website. If you need assistance with a U2C-PETU, contact the Controller's Office Solutions Center.