The following key changes made to Policy and Regulations Governing Moving and Relocation, UC Policy G-13, went into effect on October 15, 2017:
- Eliminates payment of a relocation allowance intended to offset higher living costs in a new location.
- Allows for reimbursement of certain actual and reasonable expenses associated with closing costs for purchase of a new primary residence, selling costs from the sale of a former primary residence, or settlement costs for an unexpired lease when relocation is required.
- Establishes provisions for repayment by the appointee of moving and relocation expenses if the appointee voluntarily separates from the position prior to completing one year of service and does not accept a UC position within 12 months from the initial date of appointment.
- Clarifies reimbursement of meals while in temporary living quarters for up to 30 days.
- If the temporary lodging has cooking facilities, the cost of groceries will be reimbursed.
- If the temporary lodging does not have any cooking facilities, meals will be reimbursed in accordance with Travel Regulations, UC Policy G-28 including meal limits.
- Requires submission of moving and relocation expense reimbursement requests within a reasonable amount of time not to exceed 60 days.
Policy and Regulations Governing Moving and Relocation, UC Policy G-13, applies to payments for the University's Managers and Senior Professionals (MSP) and Professional and Support Staff (PSS) personnel. Senior Management Group (SMG) and academic (Academic Personnel Manual 550, 560, 561) personnel are addressed in separate policies.
If you have questions about moving and relocation expenses, contact the Controller's Office Solution Center.