On May 9, 2018, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) announced its fiscal year 2018 Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) stipend levels for Postdoctoral Scholars (NOT-OD-18-175).
Pursuant to the Postdoctoral Scholars’ Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the University of California and the UAW union, Article 4, Compensation, the University salary scales for Postdoctoral Scholar salary/stipend minimum rates will be increased effective June 1, 2018. The minimum salary/stipend rate for experience level 0 matches experience level 2 on the NIH scale. Other UC salary/stipend levels have a similar relation to the NIH projected scale. The salary scales will be available in the Academic Personnel and Programs section of the UC Office of the President's website.
The new rates will apply when a Postdoctoral Scholar is newly appointed, reappointed, or on the anniversary date for those Postdoctoral Scholars with multiple year appointments on June 1, 2018 or later. Postdoctoral Scholar appointments/reappointments made prior to June 1, will remain on the December 1, 2016 salary scale until their anniversary or reappointment date.
There is an exception for Postdoctoral Scholar Fellows funded by Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Fellowships related to the effective date. The new minimum scale applies to budgetary fellowship awards made on or after October 1, 2017 and is retroactive to the fellowship award date. If you have questions, contact your Financial Analyst or Contracts and Grants Accounting who may have received notification from the NIH of any budgetary adjustments for NRSA fellows.
In preparation for the salary scale change, UCSF Human Resources Shared Services for Postdoctoral Scholars are:
- Reviewing all hires and reappointments effective June 1, 2018 or later
- Reviewing all multi-year appointments with reappointment dates of June 1, 2018 or later
- Preparing revised Appointment Letters or Appointment/Reappointment Letter Addendums for appointments/reappointment effective June 1, 2018 or later
- Running audits on Appointment/Reappointment Letters/SRS tickets/People Connect cases/OLPPS to ensure the appropriate scales were used and processed for all affected Postdoctoral Scholars
Your HR Generalist will be reaching out to you to advise on necessary actions on your part such as:
- Submitting new SRS Tickets/People Connect Management Action Cases
- Signing and issuing the addendum or revised appointment/reappointment letters
Should you have any questions, contact your HR Generalist.