In May, UCSF released a new online tool to streamline the general ledger (GL) verification process and to replace paper-based procedures. The GL Verification Tool utilizes a risk and sampling approach in which transactions are systematically identified for verification with the goal of ensuring overall reasonableness of department financials.
Since launching in May, over 700 Approvers and Verifiers have been granted access to the tool, and new departments are continuing to make the transition to the new verification process. The Controller's Office will work with Control Points to determine a timeline for full adoption of the online GL Verification Tool by all departments within their areas.
Based on feedback we have already received from users, the following enhancements are currently in development:
- Modification to the sampling rules for certain IT recharge transactions based solely on payroll
- New feature to filter and sort verification results by column to make it easier to identify and group transactions
- Increase in the file upload size for supporting attachments
- Addition of comments section to Monthly Trend Report verification
- Ability to export data from verification screens direct to Excel
- Creation of pending items indicator within verification progress status bars
- Updates to reason code descriptions to clarify why each transaction was selected for verification
Planning for additional enhancements will continue in the coming months. In the spirit of continuous improvement of the tool, we encourage your feedback and suggestions for future enhancements.
Consult the General Ledger Verification section of the Controller's Office website for more information about system access and training. Job aids for Verifiers and Approvers and for conducting monthly trend analysis are also available.
If you have questions about general ledger verification or using the GL Verification Tool, contact [email protected].