As announced last month, student employees with certain appointment types will begin reporting work hours using Huntington Business Systems (HBS) in October 2018.
While the majority of UCSF employees began using HBS several years ago, student employees were excluded at the time of implementation due to the unique nature of their appointments. For the approximately 200 student employees included in the October 2018 implementation, HBS will provide a standardized, electronic method to record work hours. Supervisors will be able to accurately and efficiently review hours and approve leave requests.
Impacted Student Employee Populations
Student employees who are FLSA non-exempt, are paid biweekly, and today report hours using a paper time record
- These employees have an appointment type of “Casual/Restricted"--an appointment reserved for registered undergraduate and graduate students gaining work experience and financial support while pursuing their educational objectives
- Includes students working in staff title codes either in departments or who are on work study
Student employees who are FLSA exempt and are paid monthly by exception
- Student employees paid by exception do not need to report hours and do not accrue leave
- This includes academic student employees: Tutors*, Teaching Assistants, Graduate Student Researchers
*Some exempt employees who report variable hours today will move to a biweekly pay schedule and will report hours using HBS
Timeline for Implementation
Student employees will submit their final paper time record on October 8, 2018 which will include hours worked between September 23 and October 6. Those transitioning from a monthly pay schedule will include hours worked between October 1 and October 6.
Access to HBS will be available to student employees and approvers on October 10, 2018. The deadline for submitting and approving timesheets for the pay period ending October 20 is midnight on the following dates:
- Student Employee: October 22, 2018
- Timesheet Approvers: October 23, 2018
Impacted student employees and timesheet group approvers have been sent a direct communication with more details about this change. A recorded training session on navigating HBS for student employees will be available on October 3, 2018 on the Controller's Office website. HBS job aids for employees and timesheet approvers are available on the Controller's Office website.
If you have questions about HBS, contact the Controller's Office Solution Center.