As of January 1, 2020, the At Your Service Online (AYSO) module to change tax withholdings (federal or state) will be temporarily closed until programming to incorporate substantial IRS 2020 W4 changes has been completed. We do not have a date at this time as to when the module will reopen.
During this outage period, employees will need to complete and submit paper forms to the Controller's Office Solution Center in the following cases:
- Existing employees who want to change their withholdings.
- New employees hired on or after January 1, 2020.
- Employees who claim exemption from tax withholding must renew their exemption by February 15, 2020. If they chose to do so before the AYSO module reopens, they will need to provide the 2020 W4 to the Payroll Office to claim exemption.
- Nonresident aliens claiming tax treaty exemption or renewing their tax treaty exemption because it expired.
Because state and federal withholding modules work in tandem on AYSO, both applications must be shut down temporarily. During the shutdown, please use the below forms to make 2020 W-4 elections:
- IRS Form W-4 for 2020: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf
- FAQs on the new W4: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/faqs-on-the-2020-form-w-4
- California has not released the 2020 version of the DE-4; please use the form found at this link: https://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de4.pdf
The University of California Office of the President is no longer combining the federal and state W4 in one form due to the added complexity of the federal forms.