What is a stipend?
A stipend is a payment made to an individual under a fellowship or training grant in accordance with pre-established levels to provide for the individual's living expenses during the period of training. A stipend is not considered compensation for the services expected of an employee. If you are unsure whether to submit your stipend request through the Stipend Payment Request Application or payroll, contact your Human Resources Specialist for guidance on how to pay the stipend based on classification of the program and fellow.
How to request a stipend payment
The CGA Student Service Team facilitates payment of stipends for the UCSF campus using the Stipend Payment Request application. The Stipend Payment Request allows departments to submit an Excel spreadsheet to request payments from multiple fund sources for a single or multiple individuals in a single transaction. Use the application to request stipend payments for students, Clinical Fellows, and Visiting Scholars.
Review the detailed steps described in the job aid before uploading a request using the Stipend Payment Request application (MyAccess login is required). Be sure to review your request before you submit. Corrections are made manually and may delay processing of your stipend(s).
Avoid these common errors
- Download a new version of the template for each request - do not reuse a previous template
- UCID is always 10 digits. Student ID S023456789. Visiting Scholars/Fellows ID 0023456789.
- Activity Period is required for all sponsored projects
- Sponsored projects Project ID always ends with an alphabetic character (123791A).
- Non-Resident Alien stipends: before you submit a stipend request, email the Student Service Team to verify that all tax documentation has been completed. NRA payees complete the online verification process using Glacier. If the NRA payee does not obtain a social security number prior to submission of the stipend request, 30% federal taxes will be withheld from their payments.
- Direct Deposit: Student payees should submit a Non-Payroll Direct Deposit Request. All other stipend recipients should use At Your Service Online.
Corrections and Reports
If you need to make a correction to a processed stipend, contact the CGA Student Service Team. Each correction takes up to 15 minutes to process per voucher.
A monthly stipend report is available through UCSF Box to help departments monitor their stipend requests. This rolling 13-month report reflects all processed stipend payments. Contact Melinda Howard to obtain access to this report.
If you have questions about a stipend or the Stipend Payment Request process, contact the CGA Student Service Team.