A research subject payment is made to an individual who has participated in a research study. Research subject payments are processed in Accounts Payable on a priority basis, and payments are made approximately ten days after receipt of the properly completed documents. Read more about research subject payments on the Office of Ethics and Compliance, Human Research Protection Program website and the UCOP Research Policy Analysis and Coordination website.
Paying a Research Subject
The following information is required to process a Research Subject payment request:
Petty Cash Request for a Research Study
The following information is required to process a Petty Cash Request for a Research Study:
- A completed Check Request Form 5 Non-Payroll (U5-2) - the form must show the total amount requested or the sum of the fund increase and the form must include the signatures of custodian and department head/approver.
- The Petty Cash Custodian’s name and campus mailing address
- The Petty Cash Custodian’s employee ID number
- Include all the receipts as proof of payment to the Research Subject participants (receipts must be signed off by Department PI if payment is made to anonymous research subjects).
Petty Cash Request for payment to a research subjects are limited to $150 per subject per visit. Submit the required documents to Petty Cash Desk at [email protected] . For additional information see Procedures for Petty Cash Funds.
Human Study Debit Card Program
Research Subjects may be paid using our new Human Study Debit Card Program. This program offers several advantages:
- Payment in the form of a Visa Debit Card (reloadable and non-reloadable platform) rather than paper check or petty cash
- Eliminates the need to submit check requests for research subjects
- Less risk than maintaining a petty cash account
- Empowers department(s) to manage transactions via a web-based portal compliant to HIPAA regulations
- Balances are backed by Visa's zero liability guarantees, virtually eliminating loss due to fraud or theft.