Claim Expenses for Reimbursement

MyExpense is the UCSF Campus automated reimbursement system for employee travel and non-travel, and guest travel reimbursement. MyExpense replaces paper Travel Expense Voucher Forms and Payment Request Forms for most reimbursements.

Employees or their delegate create Expense Reports in MyExpense to obtain reimbursement for travel-related expenses, meeting and entertainment meals, and miscellaneous (parking, bridge tolls, mileage, etc.) expenses. Guest (including federally sponsored project participant support and research subject) travel expense reimbursement, and employee cash advances are also requested via MyExpense.

Employees are responsible for reporting his or her actual travel expenses within 45 days of the End of Trip/Last Purchase Date to ensure timely reporting of expenses and to avoid IRS tax implications. Late expense reports may be reported as taxable income and subject to applicable payroll taxes.

Use MyExpense to Reimburse

  • Employee and guest (including federally sponsored project participant support and research subject) travel reimbursement
  • Cash advances for employees
  • Reimbursement for entertainment meals and expenses paid out-of-pocket by an employee
  • Miscellaneous employee business expense reimbursements paid out-of-pocket by an employee
  • Reimbursement for Uniform Allowance
  • Tuition reimbursement
  • Reimbursement for non-cash awards and gifts given to employees

New users should start by viewing Introduction to MyExpense before preparing an expense report.

The job aids for MyExpense Users explain specific actions:

MyExpense Approvers should review the MyExpense Approver Guide for step-by-step instructions, and campus Department Heads should use the MyExpense Delegation of Approval Authority Form if they need to delegate approval authority to a designated individual for cash advances and employee expense reimbursements. MyExpense Delegates should review the Acting as a Delegate in MyExpense job aid.

Use the Appropriate Forms to Reimburse