An expense transfer is commonly used to correct the recording of a cost from an incorrect to a correct chartstring. There are separate processes for payroll expense transfers and nonpayroll expense transfers. Payroll expense transfers follow the process outlined below; non-payroll expense transfers use financial journals.
To transfer payroll expenses:
- Prepare the Payroll Expense Transfer Uploader (PETU). The PETU includes usage instructions and required documentation for late cost transfers; be sure to follow the instructions and submit the PETU with all required supporting documentation.
- Obtain all approvals and email the PETU form to [email protected]. Please include “PETU” in the email subject line.
Alternatively, the Uncapped-to-Capped Payroll Expense Transfer Uploader (U2C-PETU) is used when transferring payroll expenses from a non-capped to a NIH-capped Project. U2C-PETU should not be used to transfer expenses that can currently be transferred using the original PETU. U2C-PETU features & Functionality:
- Allows entry of a second debit chartstring to cover the over-the-cap expenses that result from enforcing the pay rate cap
- Enables consolidation of multiple employees into one U2C-PETU workbook; no longer restricted to one employee per workbook
- Can be used to transfer up to 25 lines in one workbook
- Built-in basic error-checking to catch common data formatting issues
- Built-in checks that will identify common reasons for PET rejections or delays
- Enables copy and paste of data into the debit information fields or use formulas based on Hrs/% Effort to speed up data entry