UCSF's payroll expense transfer processes will change when UCPath launches on June 1. A new salary cost transfer process in UCPath will replace the submission of Payroll Expense Transfer Uploader (PETU) forms. Salary Cost transfers, also known as Direct Retros in UCPath, will be used to repost any payroll expense that originates in UCPath.
Departments will continue to be responsible for identifying, initiating and obtaining approval for transfers. Campus departments will initiate and approve salary cost transfers in UCPath directly. UCSF Health departments will initiate transfers using a new Management Action Form in PeopleConnect.
More about the UCPath Salary Cost Transfer Process
A payroll expense transfer is the reversal of payroll expenses (salary and benefits) charged to an original chartstring and the reposting of those charges to a new chartstring. The UCPath salary cost transfer process streamlines the steps required to initiate, approve and process expense transfers.
- Rather than submitting a PETU Excel workbook to the Controller's Office Solution Center for processing, salary cost transfers are performed entirely in UCPath.
- Like today, departments must follow all pre-submission policies and guidelines for authorization and concurrence. Data entry screens in UCPath capture information previously recorded on Attachment E of the PETU, and files can be attached to each transaction.
- Currently, PETUs are processed and posted during the monthly payroll journal posting process. salary cost transfers in UCPath are processed daily (excluding days when pay cycle processing occurs) and post more frequently to the General Ledger.
- The exceptional approval process for late cost transfers and high-risk transfers on federal and federal flow-through funds is triggered automatically in UCPath. Exceptional transfer requests are routed in UCPath to Contracts and Grants Accounting for review and approval.
What You Need to Know about PETUs
All payroll expenses that originate in PPS must be moved using the current PETU process; these expenses cannot be moved in UCPath. PPS will remain operational for a limited time in order to process PETUs. Departments must submit all PETUs to transfer PPS payroll expenses by September 30, 2020. Timely review of payroll expenses recorded in PPS prior to UCPath go-live is required for departments to meet this deadline.
Training and Next Steps
For campus departments, two roles are required to perform salary cost transfers in UCPath:
- Salary Cost Transfer Initiator: enters transactions to move salary and related benefits expenses from one chartstring distribution to another and submits transactions for approval.
- Salary Cost Transfer Approver: upon notification, reviews and either approves or denies transactions.
Campus Control Point Financial Officers led the effort to identify users who will be assigned UCPath roles within their Control Point at go-live. Employees who will be performing these actions were notified and provided further training instructions on April 2. The complete training plan for Salary Cost Transfer Initiators and Approvers is available on the UCPath website.
If you think you should have a role in the salary cost transfer process and were not notified, check with your manager or Control Point. Submit a question to the UCPath Project Team if you have additional questions about the new salary cost transfer process. Contact the Controller's Office Solution Center if you have questions about submitting PETUs.