Accounts Payable

Support Contact

Box 0812
PDF icon Download (76.06 KB)

Management Contact

Alexandra Jalali
Manager - Accounts Payable Operations & Travel
+1 415 476-8461
  • The BearBuy Payment Request Form is used to request payment for a non-BearBuy Purchase Order (non-PO) invoice.  This form can be used to request payment for cell phone/phone lines, donation/contribution, government fees/visas, guest lodging, honorarium, memberships/subscriptions/journal publications, refunds, registration fees, relocation, student summer programs, suppliers who will not accept a PO, and utilities.  This form cannot be used for payments to research subjects, patient refunds, or petty cash; use a Check Request Form (U5-2).  Do not use the BearBuy Payment Request Form to pay invoices for subcontacts or invoices for a BearBuy PO.
  • If you are considering other package arrangements offered by internet vendors, use caution and investigate the details before booking. Typically itineraries and receipts from these packages do not include itemized expenses and do not provide sufficient detail to support reimbursement. Without proper detail, you will not be reimbursed. No business-related travel should be booked using a "packaged" or "bundled" trip deal unless the traveler has confirmed that each aspect of the package will be separately itemized (e.g., itemized hotel charges, airfare, car rental, etc.) to assure appropriate documentation will be provided for reimbursement.
  • Before your make any travel arrangements, be sure you review and understand Travel Regulations, University Policy G-28, to ensure that your travel costs can be paid and reimbursed.  Important topics include restrictions on State funded travel; limits on transportation, lodging, meals and incidental expenses (including expense caps); required trip registration and insurance; and expense documentation requirements.   Connexxus offers the following options to assist with scheduling your airline flight:
  • Connexxus can be used to book a car rental reservation through BCD Travel, UC Travel Center, Short’s Travel, or SWABIZ. The University of California has a system-wide car rental program with Enterprise, Hertz, National, Dollar, and Thrifty. The program offers University of California business travelers the best value, most economical pricing, and includes insurance coverage through the rental car company. Benefits such as waived annual fees and car upgrades may be available if you have a loyalty membership with the rental car company. To enroll in rental agency loyalty programs, use the agency links in Connexxus to ensure that your loyalty program profile will associate you with the University of California.
  • I want to... Book a flight Book lodging Rent a car Book a bundled trip Book travel to UCSF for Guests and 3rd Party Affiliates Change or cancel travel plans
  • The travel policy establishes daily expense maximums based on the location and duration of travel.  Lodging is reimbursed based on actual costs substantiated by receipts: 
  • Travel Regulations, University Policy G-28, applies to all official University travel including non-employees such as visitors, students, visiting scholars, independent contractors, etc. Before your make any travel arrangements, be sure you review and understand University Policy G-28, to ensure that your travel costs can be paid and reimbursed. Important topics include restrictions on State funded travel; limits on transportation, lodging, meals and incidental expenses (including expense caps); required trip registration and insurance; and expense documentation requirements.
  • Travel reservations can be changed or canceled via a travel agent or online booking tool in Connexxus. If you work with a Connexxus travel agency, the agent can determine if the ticket had a refundable fare and will process the refund or determine if a credit can be issued for future use by the traveler. An agent assistance fee and airline booking fees may apply when changing or canceling reservations. Airline Changes and Cancellations If the airline changes or cancels your flight and is unable to get you on an alternate flight, contact the travel agency you originally used to re-book or make other travel arrangements for assistance.
  • MyExpense is the UCSF Campus automated reimbursement system for employee travel and non-travel, and guest travel reimbursement. MyExpense replaces paper Travel Expense Voucher Forms and Payment Request Forms for most reimbursements. Employees or their delegate create Expense Reports in MyExpense to obtain reimbursement for travel-related expenses, meeting and entertainment meals, and miscellaneous (parking, bridge tolls, mileage, etc.) expenses. Guest (including federally sponsored project participant support and research subject) travel expense reimbursement, and employee cash advances are also requested via MyExpense.
  • The Corporate Travel Card is available to employees who travel on official University businesses, and should be used only for University related travel expenses, or local meeting and entertainment related expenses. Any travel related expense can be charged to the Corporate Travel Card such as airline tickets, hotel reservations, conference registrations, car rentals, and meals while on travel status. In addition, the card may be used for local meeting and entertainment related expenses. The issuance of the card is based on an individual's credit score and incurs personal liability. U.S. Bank provides and supports the VISA card issued as the University's Corporate Travel Card.
  • Employee moving and relocation expenses are defined as the reasonable costs incurred by a new employee, or by a current employee who transfers to a new University location, for moving household goods and personal effects, and the cost of travel to the University location for the individual and his or her household members. These costs can be reimbursed, in part or in full, when supported by invoices and receipts. Departments can use the Moving and Relocation Checklist as a guide to help ensure that moving and relocation expenses are correctly paid and reimbursed.
  • At UCSF "(business) meetings" means expenditures for meals or light refreshments and related services (e.g., labor charges, room rental, equipment rental, and similar expenditures) incurred in connection with meetings of employees to conduct official University business. At least one University employee or other individual representing the University must be present at any business meeting that includes non-University persons.
  • Provides links for instructions on paying for specific types of expenses, payment methods, viewing accounts payable information, obtaining copies of documents, and campus department responsibilities.
  • A research subject payment is made to an individual who has participated in a research study.
  • An honorarium is payment in recognition of an individual's or organization's special service or distinguished achievement where propriety precludes setting a fixed price. Honorarium payments are paid in lieu of reimbursement of travel expenses or any other payment of fees for service. If the honorarium is for a UCSF employee, follow the instructions in One-Time Payroll Payment Authorization – FT (UPAY 5642A) Article Contents Overview Paying Honorarium Tax Deduction for a Non Resident Overview Activities for which honorarium payments can be made include:
  • Domestic and Foreign wire transfer overview.
  • Generally, goods and services provided to the University are paid for after receipt. On occasion, it may be necessary to provide a known and reputable supplier with an advance payment (prepayment). Overview Specific Instances where Advanced Payments are Permissible (with proper approval):
  • Before supplying goods and services to UCSF, vendors and suppliers must complete the Supplier Registration Process.  Refer to the UCSF Supply Chain Management website for commonly used supplier forms. Invoices ready for processing and payment can be submitted to UCSF in the following ways:
  • When traveling on business, it is the responsibility of the traveler to understand UCSF travel and entertainment policies in order to be reimbursed in a timely manner and understand which expenses will and will not be covered by the University.
  • UCSF enters into numerous subcontracts for which UCSF is the prime awardee and another institution is responsible for fulfilling a portion of the research work. Subcontracts are processed through Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) and payment to the subcontractors is handled through Accounts Payable. Departments and Principal Investigators are responsible for reviewing and approving subcontractor invoices. DocuSign is a cloud-based electronic workflow and signature application that has been integrated into the subcontract review and approval process. By adopting this application, we have moved to a paperless process and hope to increase efficiency and decrease the elapsed time between Accounts Payable (AP) sending a subcontract invoice to the department and the release of the hold on the check to the subcontractor. DocuSign is legally binding and provides full document encryption and a tamper-proof audit trail.
  • Mileage reimbursement rates for expenses incurred in connection with the business use of a private automobile have changed in accordance with the Internal Revenue Service standard mileage rates: Travel Purpose/Mileage Use Type 2017 Rate 2018 Rate Business Travel 53.5 cents/mile 54.5 cents/mile Move or Relocation...
  • The U.S. Department of Homeland Security continues moving toward its REAL ID deadline.  REAL ID sets requirements for identification that U.S. residents can use to board domestic flights. Here is the latest information: On January 22, 2018, all domestic U.S. air travelers will be required to: Show a driver’s license issued by a state that is compliant with the U.S. REAL ID Act...
  • The University of California Office of the President (UCOP) Central Travel Office hosts webinars to educate and inform UC travelers on travel benefits and topics. Click the session title to register for the session(s) that interest you: Introduction to Connexxus - January 11 at 11 a.m. (60 minutes) New to UC? New to Connexxus? Join us and explore how to get the most out of the Connexxus...